Thursday, December 22, 2011

3G / WCDMA Network Only in Android

I've been desperately wanted to have my phone to just stay in 3G only network as the GPRS(1.x)/EDGE network in my hometown is pretty slow. Even the signal is weak but it is way faster than the 1.x / EDGE network.

To my suprise there is no such setting in my stock Nexus S (4.0.3). Thanks to the comunity after few googling around i found there is this hidden setting that allow your phone to select to use WCDMA network only as currently it is been set as WCDMA (preferred)

Dial *#*#4636#*#* and It will bring you to Testing Screen, for ICS you can click on Phone Setting and change the  network to WCDMA only to fix your phone to use only 3G network.




Not able to make Screen Shot with the full text ( *#*#4636#*#* ) as it will auto go to the Testing Screen when you hit the last input.

  The setting available to for the network selection.

3 comments:

nm said...

thanks. this is exactly what I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

when i just press wcdma automatically it changes to wcdma preferred and it wouldn't connect later please help

Unknown said...

Hi anthony !

you can actually just restart your phone and it will revert to default config :)

else you can chose GSM/CDMA it work for me :)